What can DNA testing tell you about your ethnic origins? How can it be used to piece together your family history? Are those TV commercials all hype? How have anthropologists and historians used this type of DNA testing to solve historical mysteries? Can these tests reveal anything about your health?
The lecture includes an overview of:
- The 3 types of DNA tests used for family history research
- How each type of DNA is inherited from our ancestors
- The main companies who do consumer testing for family history
- A brief look at results and analytical tools for each type of test
- Deciding who to test and why
- Ethical considerations.
- Develop a basic understanding of the 3 types of DNA tests used for genealogy, and their patterns of inheritance between generations.
- Develop a basic understanding of what these DNA can tell us about our ethnic origins.
- Be able to make an informed decision about which testing company to choose.
- Gain familiarity with some of the ways DNA tests can benefit genealogical research.
- Gain an understanding of some of the key potential ethical and privacy risks.
- Format: Instructional lecture.
- Length: 60 minutes, including Q&A.
- Audience: Genealogists and family historians.
- Experience: Beginners, intermediate.