If you have Hispanic ancestors and you want to learn their history, consider yourself fortunate.
Hispanic countries share a history of similar similar record keeping practices and cultural customs inherited from Spain that allow for similar strategies. Many of the key record collections from the homeland have been preserved and digitized, and often provide more genealogical information that what we find in U.S. records.
Do you have Mexican ancestors?
This research guide is very much a work in progress, so please check back often.
Pages in This Research Guide
- Guide Home Page
- Hispanic New World Timelines
- Hispanic Digitized Censuses
- Hispanic Oral History Digital Collections
Related Articles from My Blog
I regularly write about Hispanic genealogy.
Getting Started with Hispanic Research
- Legacy Family Tree Webinar: “Finding Your Roots in Catholic Records”: Researching Hispanic ancestors involves a significant amount of time working with Catholic church records. Having a solid understanding of those records is essential to doing good genealogy. I highly recommend this webinar to anyone with Catholic ancestors.
- Documenting Padrinos (Godparents & Sponsors) in Your Ancestry Tree: Padrinos play an important role in Hispanic culture and family history. Identifying and tracking the names of padrinos found in the records of your ancestors can provide clues to help further trace your ancestral lines, and can help you develop a better understanding of the kinship ties in your ancestral hometown.
Researching Their Life in the Old Country
- Using Facebook Groups to Research Your Ancestral Hometown: During lectures I gave this past August at my local genealogy society and at a conference, I polled the audience asking how many who are on Facebook had checked if there is an existing Facebook Group for their ancestral hometowns, and few people raised their hands. When I showed them the kind of information that I have obtained from one of my ancestral hometown Groups, they were amazed.
Upcoming Conferences, Seminars, Programs & Webinars
- Get Free Hispanic Family History Help in San Diego County – 2018 Schedule
- I am Giving an Overview of Researching Hispanic Ancestry at Genealogy Jamboree Next Weekend
Archived Webinars & Video Courses
- Hispanic Genealogy Research Study Group with DearMYRTLE
(recorded 14 and 21 March 2018)
Interested in Hispanic genealogy and history?
SIGN UP NOW with your email address to get my FREE email newsletter, HISPANIC RESEARCH & HERITAGE, delivered to your inbox the last week of every month! Packed with bonus tips, collections, events, and news recommended by me. Your email address will never be sold or shared with others.