Take your genealogy to the next level with archival research. The southwest region is rich in original records pertaining to the Spanish, Mexican, territorial, and statehood eras. Learn about key finding aid portals to locate specific repositories and collections to visit in-person, as well as key portals to consortia-shared digitized collections that can be accessed online for free. We will briefly cover key archival terminology before a walk-through of how to search, browse, and analyze these finding aids and digitized collections.
You will walk away from this lecture with a bunch of new favorite websites for your research toolkit.
- Gain familiarity with navigating, browsing, and searching all featured websites.
- Gain familiarity with the types of digitized record collections available.
- Gain familiarity with reading an archival finding aid.
- Format: Instructional lecture.
- Length: 60 minutes, including Q&A.
- Audience: Genealogists and family historians.
- Experience: Strong beginners, intermediate, advanced.