What can you learn about your ethnic origins from DNA testing? How can it be used to piece together your family history? Are those TV commercials all hype? Not quite sure yet how DNA can benefit your genealogy research? Are you hesitant to test because of privacy risks?
This introductory lecture will help you decide if DNA testing is right for you, or help those who are still somewhat new to genetic genealogy gain a more solid understanding of its concepts and applications.
It includes an overview of:
- The 3 types of DNA tests used for family history research.
- How each type of DNA is inherited from our ancestors.
- Examples of how DNA can help solve genealogy research problems.
- Privacy and ethical considerations.
- Be able to explain the 3 types of DNA tests used for genealogy, and their patterns of inheritance between generations.
- Make better sense of your ethnicity reports.
- Identify ways in which DNA tests can benefit your genealogical research.
- Develop more informed decisions about potential ethical and privacy issues.