This announcement is cross-posted from the Virtual Genealogical Association.
I am thrilled to kick off VGA’s new SIG with this important and often misunderstood topic when doing Hispanic research. Join us for an evening of engaging informative conversation.
Like many cultures, Hispanic countries (we’re including Spain) have traditional naming conventions. Understanding these well will make you much more successful when researching and documenting your ancestors in Spanish-speaking countries, and those who immigrated to the United States (possibly to other non-Spanish-speaking countries too).
Join us on Tuesday, January 15th!
After brief introductions, we’ll start off with a short primer on traditional Hispanic naming conventions: surnames, given names, and women. Then we’ll ask the group to share tips on, or ask questions about, what seems to work best for handling these naming conventions:
- in your genealogy database and/or online tree
- in source citations
- when writing family history narratives
- when searching online
- for individuals who lived in the old country and then immigrated to a non-Spanish-speaking country
If you have specific examples (links, screenshots, documents, etc.) that you want to share with the group, please have those saved on your computer desktop or browser tabs/bookmarks for quick easy access.
Meeting Logistics & Access
- Date & Time: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 (6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Discussion Topic: Search and documentation strategies for Hispanic names
(Leader: Colleen Robledo Greene, MLIS)
- Joining the Meeting: Pre-registration is required (even just right before the event)
- Register on the Hispanic SIG Meeting Access web page (you must be logged in to your VGA account first)
- Participation is limited to VGA members.
- The meeting link will be included in email reminders to you the day before and one hour before the meeting start time, and shared in our private Facebook Group
Not yet a VGA member? Annual membership is just $20 USD. JOIN VGA TODAY!
You Might Also Like
- My Mexican Genealogy Research Guide
- My Hispanic Genealogy Research Guide
- My Hispanic Genealogy Email Newsletter
Interested in Hispanic genealogy and history?
SIGN UP NOW with your email address to get my FREE email newsletter, HISPANIC RESEARCH & HERITAGE, delivered to your inbox the last week of every month! Packed with bonus tips, collections, events, and news recommended by me. Your email address will never be sold or shared with others.