I had previously announced that this session would kick-off the new Hispanic SIG I am hosing for VGA on January 15th. However, my work load at my day job was just too hectic in January, so I moved the kick-off to February. You still have time to register and attend.
Like many cultures, Hispanic countries (we’re including Spain) have traditional naming conventions. Understanding these well will make you much more successful when researching and documenting your ancestors in Spanish-speaking countries, and those who immigrated to the United States (possibly to other non-Spanish-speaking countries too).
Join us on Tuesday, Februrary 19th!
After brief introductions, we’ll start off with a short primer on traditional Hispanic naming conventions: surnames, given names, and women. Then we’ll ask the group to share tips on, or ask questions about, what seems to work best for handling these naming conventions:
- in your genealogy database and/or online tree
- in source citations
- when writing family history narratives
- when searching online
- for individuals who lived in the old country and then immigrated to a non-Spanish-speaking country
If you have specific examples (links, screenshots, documents, etc.) that you want to share with the group, please have those saved on your computer desktop or browser tabs/bookmarks for quick easy access.
Meeting Logistics & Access
- Date & Time: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 (6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Discussion Topic: Search and documentation strategies for Hispanic names
(Leader: Colleen Robledo Greene, MLIS)
- Joining the Meeting: Pre-registration is required (even just right before the event)
- Register on the Hispanic SIG Meeting Access web page (you must be logged in to your VGA account first)
- Participation is limited to VGA members.
- The meeting link will be included in email reminders to you the day before and one hour before the meeting start time, and shared in our private Facebook Group
REGISTER TODAY FOR OUR 2019 SIG MEETINGS!
Not yet a VGA member? Annual membership is just $20 USD. JOIN VGA TODAY!
Interested in Hispanic genealogy and history?
Follow our Hispanic Genealogy & Heritage Facebook Page, which is packed with tips, collections, events, and news personally recommended by me. I scour the web for great information for you. See you on Facebook today!